mike fleming brings exclusive news in a deadline new york article entitled, ‘god stars in 3d book of genesis bible tale.’
in the story we learn:
Paramount Pictures and former Walden Media co-founder Cary Granat producing with Reel Fx are mounting In The Beginning, a 3D telling of the creation story. The film is using The Book of Genesis as its primary resource. A script has been written by John Fusco (Hidalgo), and directing will be TV vet David Cunningham.
we also learn that:
the $30 million film will use 3-D visuals to transform the oft-told tale into a spectacle that the filmmakers hope will attract family- and faith-based audiences that flocked to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, that first Chronicles of Narnia installment made on Granat’s Walden watch.
so there you have it. the next great mythological story told in 3d will be the story of adam and eve. and i can’t wait to hear the debates this movie will generate. here are a few just to get us started:
- will the movie tell the genesis 1 story or the genesis 2 story (or harmonize them into a single creation story)?
- will the movie give a literal account from the bible or will it embellish the story at all?
- will the movie be praised by the evangelical christian crowd as much needed in a liberal hollywood climate, or will it be criticized if too much liberty is taken and the script deviates from the biblical account(s).
- will it be a good script?
- will it look as good as avatar?
- will the academic community:
- embrace it for its portrayal of a biblical story (thereby welcoming a movie based upon a piece of ancient literature)?
- reject it for propagating a creation myth as historical (if the movie based upon a creation account is marketed as ‘factual’)?
- embrace it because it embellished a mythological account of creation (and fictional stories should be celebrated as such)?
- reject it because it feeds a frenzy of fundamentalist religion at a time when we should be critically examining the fundamental stories of various religious traditions over and against our modern, scientific understanding of humanity and the world?
what are your thoughts?
Filed under: bible, christianity, judaism, media, religion Tagged: | 3D, adam, and the wardrobe, avatar, bible, cary garnat, christian, chronicles of narnia, creation, david cunningham, eve, genesis, god, hebrew, hidalgo, john fusco, movie, paramount, reel fx, script, the lion, the witch, walden media